Thursday, August 18, 2011

What can I sell in a convenience store other than cigarrettes/alcohol?

Well how do I answer this without a long dissertation. First check your variances. If you can't get a license for liquor or cigs in your described zone there might be other items you can't sell....Second,, stand outside and ask the per-bys what they would like to see sold there. I lost my gas station because of the inability to sell products, the ridiculous tax on gasoline causing my profit to be nothing, taxes on cigs, regulations on cigs. I was cited for selling hot dogs, milk, soup and cold coffee by the village of corruption and buddies, although I had the license from the Board of Health. The State gave me a liquor license, the village of corruption changed my variance (against the master plan) and was told if I sold liquor the fine would be tremendous. The list goes on. My advise to you is...if you are prohibited from selling products indicative to the type of business you have...you are asking for a lot of grief..Your overhead is high enough just to start with and you make pennies on convenience items (I know)! Theft rate is high...hours are long and you need to be available 24-7. Try something else that gives you more bang for your money. My old gas station is a dog walking, grooming and a dog self shampooing place...they also board dogs for working families. They were able to lower the taxes, didn't need the permits required for a convenience store, the insurance is ten times lower and they have two local vets making visits twice a week. The owner, who incidentally purchased my building for back taxes knew what the community needed and is driving an escalade, lexus and has a specially equipped van to pick-up and deliver her charges. She told me she grossed over $100,000 last year and even during the recession has done quite well, because everyone goes to work and is pet sensitive in the commuting area. Good luck..hope this helped! Another thing...21 to 30 don't spend in convenience stores...Still trying to make ends meet, slowing or quitting smoking and if single they save the extra money for weekend parties at the bar or gathering hole...Sorry for the truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment